Regularly maintaining your garage door can both preserve its lifetime, save you money, and most importantly: keep everyone in your home safe.
If not properly maintained, risks include a garage door spontaneously falling down on a family member or vehicle. There is also the risk of the opposite happening, where a garage door will all of a sudden not close completely, leaving your home exposed to burglary. This is why good maintenance is a must!
General Tools for Oregon & Washington Homes
- Hammer for jobs such as tapping misaligned track back into place.
- Tape measure for tasks including as determining length of replacement parts such as weather strips.
- Screwdriver or screw gun for tightening any loose bolts or screws.
- Pliers for tasks such as locking the rollers in place on tracks if propping door open.
- Wrench set for tightening things such as roller brackets and bolts.
- Broom for cleaning hard-to-reach areas, clearing cobwebs, and removing debris.
Specialized Components: Tools for Your Garage Door
- Spray-on white lithium grease for lubricating chain in garage door opener.
- Lubricant such as WD-40.
- 2×4 for propping open door.
- Replacement rollers for when original get worn out.
- Weather seal, particularly important with all the rain in the Pacific Northwest.
- 1-in galvanized roofing nails for installations such as weather stripping.
- Silicone spray or rubbing alcohol for cleaning.
- Extension spring containment cables for when the originals get worn out.
- Fender washers & locknuts for securing and tightening screws.
Doing routine maintenance on your garage door will help preserve it, save you money, and keep your family safe. It only takes about 30 minutes every couple months, and much of it you can do with some simple tools and household cleaners.
For more complicated issues, Ponderosa Garage Doors, serving all of Multnomah County, OR and Clark County, WA provides excellent garage door repair services at family-friendly prices.
We also offer a unique Ponderosa Service Plan if you’d like an extra hand with simple repairs and tune-ups anywhere near Portland, OR or Vancouver, WA.
Feel free to get in touch today for a free estimate!